Andrew A. Kandutsch Papers (1926 - )
Title: Andrew A. Kandutsch Papers.
Originator / Donor: Andrew A. Kandutsch
Accession Number & Location: 98-008; Boxes (Cartons) #63 & #64; Morrell Park Storage Room.
Arrangement: As found, by folder title, somewhat chronological.
Biographical Sketch: Born in Kennan, Wisconsin 1926, Kandutsch graduated from Ripon College with a B.A. in Biology/Chemistry in 1950, with an M.S. in Biochemistry in 1952, and from The University of Wisconsin with a Ph.D. in Biochemistry in 1954. From 1954 until his retirement in 1991, he maintained a research laboratory at The Jackson Laboratory in Bar Harbor, Maine, becoming a Senior Staff Scientist in 1964, and serving as Research Director and Deputy Director of the organization. He served on the editorial boards of three major journals, maintained membership in NIH Physiological Chemistry Section, and authored over 120 publications. The major focus of his work was development of a model to explain the regulation of the biochemical reactions that produce cholesterol in organisms; his research identified a specific cytosolic oxysterol binding protein which led to studies of its interaction with DNA. (See the article in JAX, Vol. 31, No. 3, Winter 1986.)
Scope and Content:
Lectures, 1953-1992, including correspondence, listed by folder title, all hand-written unless noted.
Slide Notebooks (2); #1 225 slides used in lectures; #2 126 slides used in lectures.
Patent agreements, diplomas, clippings, and Ronald Hancock book of short stories.
Photographs (4) removed to Photograph Collection; #2391.
1. Seminar - Isoantig. Lipoprotein - Lab, 12/1/61; 6pp. ms.; 1961.
2. P.G. tumor STEROLS; 30pp. ms.; n.d.
3. ImmunoProteins & Tumor Transplants; 6 data sheets, 6pp. outline; n.d.
4. Antigens - Review (Given in Wash. 1960); 7pp., 1p. table, with correspondence to NAS-NRC; 6/3/60.
5. Sterols Seminar 7/20/60; 20pp. ms., 6pp. ms. with slide annotations; 1960.
6. Sbm Sterols - Seminar Bio-Research Institute; 18pp. ms.; n.d.
7. Biochem Workshop Regul. in Cell Cultures, 1973; 4pp. outline, 16pp. ms.; n.d.
8. Radiation, 1974; 5pp. ms.; 1974.
9. Lecture - Mayo Clinic [Biochemistry of the Skin]; correspondence, 6pp. ms., 8pp. ms. typed, with annotated slide photocopies; 1969.
10. Talk - Atlantic City - 1972 HMG-COA Assay; 14pp. ms. with tables, 6pp. tables, 3 notecards, 12pp.ms. typed with annotations and tables, 5pp. typed ms. with note, 3pp. tables with notes, 3pp. tables with notes, 7pp. tables with notes; correspondence with Victor Rodwell; 1972.
11. Johns Hopkins - 1974; 5pp. ms., 9pp. ms., slide list, 32pp. ms.; 1974.
12. JAX Seminar - Dec. 1974; 32 pp. ms., with slide list; 1974.
13. Gene Reg. Mammals 1974; 5pp. ms., 6pp. ms., 28 pp. ms. with slide list, annotated program for 45th Anniversary symposium, participant list; 1974.
14. Rev. myelin defic mice 1971; 7pp. ms., 25pp. ms. with annotated slide list, 5pp. bibliog.; 1971.
15. Hepatomas 4/9/71; 29pp. ms. with annotated slide list, 10pp. ms., 7pp. ms.; 1971.
16. Lecture (antigens) Transpl. Series 1965 [“NIH Grant” written on outside of folder]; 19pp. ms. 7pp. ms.; 1965.
17. Seminars Given; 10pp. ms., 17pp. ms. with 7pp. tables, 5pp. ms., 2pp. ms., 2pp. ms, 4pp. formulae, 5pp. ms., 13pp. ms., 15pp. ms., poem; n.d.
18. Reg. Symp. 1969; 7pp. ms., 9pp. typed ms. with annotations, 13pp. of projection sheets, map of Bar Harbor; 1969.
19. Control II Seminar; 29 pp. ms., 5pp. ms. with slide list, 9pp. typed ms. with slide page annotations; n.d.
20. Seminar: Androg. & Appetite Brains-sterol 3/20/70; 31pp. ms. with 2pp. slide summary; 1970.
21. Talk - Chicago; 4pp. typed ms. with annotations, 9pp. ms. with data, 1p. typed; n.d.
22. Seminar - Harvard; 40 pp. ms. with data sheets, bibliography on SRNA, correspondence from Boston Symphony; n.d.
23. Trends in Cancer Research - Lecture; 7pp. ms., 17 pp. typed ms. with annotations; n.d.
24. D1 Seminar - Slides; 5pp. notes on slides, 10pp. typed data; n.d.
25. Seminar Mar. 5 [formulae on folder cover]; 18pp. ms., 5pp. ms., 1p, 1p, 6pp. ms. with notes, 6 charts; n.d.
26. Transpl. - Seminar; 9pp.ms. with outline, 17pp.typed ms. with annotations; n.d.
27. [Seminar on Erythrocytes]; 5pp. outline, 7pp. notes; n.d.
28. Jimpy - Course; 24pp. ms., 5pp. ms. with slide annotations and notes, 5pp. ms., 4pp. ms.; n.d.
29. Chol Control - Seminar 1967 (Dec); 33pp. ms. with slide list, 6pp. outline; 1967.
30. Seminar - Steroids 1965; 8pp. ms. outline, 15pp. ms.; 1965.
31. Gordon Conf. - 1975 [Lipid Metabolism]; 26pp. ms. with slide list, registration list, conference materials; 1975.
32. Seminar - MERK; correpondence, 10pp. typed ms. with annotations, 6pp. ms. with slide list; 1965.
33. Univ. ME; correspondence, recertification of faculty position; 1971.
34. Orono 1975; 4pp. ms. with outline and slide list, correspondence with R.D. Blake; 1975.
35. Rice and Baylor 1975; 3pp. ms. outline with slide list, correspondence with C.T. Caskey, Rice Biochemistry Dept. pamphlet; 1975.
36. MERK Instit. (11-10-75) BSO Aug.1975; 4 sets of 4 notecards. [also, Nat. Foundation March of Dimes, 6/9/76]
37. Seminar - Harvard - 77 and Chicago - 77; 30pp. ms. with slide list, 4 large notecards with slide notes, correspondence with Nelson Westmoreland; 1977.
38. NCI - 1976 and U. Penn - 1976; 5 notecards with slide list & 30 pp. ms. “Regulation of Sterol Synthesis in Proliferating Cells” 2/11/76 Washington, D.C., 4 notecards & 25pp. ms. “The Synthesis of Cholesterol and its Role in Proliferating Cells” 4/22/76.
39. Symp. - Orono - May 26, 27; correspondence, 3 notecards; 1977.
40. Lecture - U. Chicago - 1977; 9 notecards, 7pp. ms., 1p. notes, correspondence with Angelo M. Scanu, course outline with annotations; 1977.
41. Biochem Lunch - Jan 27, 1979; 2pp. ms.; 1979.
42. Seminars & te class 77-78; 3 notecards [TJL annual meeting], 4 notecards [MDI Biological Lab]; 1977.
43. Albert Einstein - Jan 31, 1978; correspondence with John B. Swaney, 4 notecards, 1p. notes, 3pp. slides with annotations.; 1978.
44. WHO - Workshop ; correspondence, participant list, abstact of paper, travel documents.;1978.
45. Deuel Conf. & U. Utah, Mar.7-10, 1979; 5 notecards with slide list, 18pp. ms with annotated slide sheets, correspondence with George J. Popjak of UCLA & Hans Rilling of U. Utah, 5 notecards with slide list, 5pp. ms. outline.; 1979.
46. NY - April 10-11; correpondence with David Kritchevsky, participant list, 4 reprints, 9pp. notes; 1979.
47. Albany - April 30, 1979; correspondence with K. Janakiden of Albany Medical College, 3 notecards with slide sheets, 4 notecards with slide sheets; 1979.
48. Gordon Conf. June 18-22, 1979; correspondence, conference papers, 5pp. notecards, 22pp. ms, 3pp. notes; 1979.
49. NIH - Nov. 1979; notes, participant list, research grants report; 1979.
50. UICC Course 1979; course materials, 30pp. ms., 10 notecards with slide sheets, 6 notecards; 1979.
51. Seminar - Stony Brook 1979 & Queens College; correpondence with Carl Scandella of SUNY, 3 notecards, reprint; 1979.
52. U. of Wisc. 1980; correspondence with W.G. Hoekstra, 33pp. ms. with slide sheets, 5 notecards, 22pp. ms with slide sheets, reprints (“Elevated Dolichol Synthesis in Mouse testes during Spermatogenesis” and “Inter-relationships between Dolichol and Sterol Synthesis in Mammalian Cell Cultures”); 1980.
53. Jackson Lab Seminar 3/7/80; 1 notecard, annotated slide list; 1980.
54. K. Bloch - Symposium May 30, 1980; correspondence with T. Chen, conference materials, 9pp.ms. with slide notes, 2 notecards, abstract: “Regulation of the Biosynthesis of Polyisoprenoid Compounds in Mammalian Cells”, booklet: “Progress in Lipid Research/Abstracts”; 1980.
55. Seminar -NEN 12/11/80; correspondence with Jacek K. Sliwowski, 6pp. notes, 4pp. annotated slide sheets, NEN pamphlets (2); 1980.
56. Genetics Course 1980; [empty]
57. Seminar Cinncinati, March 25, 1981; correspondence with Eric Gruenstein, 28pp. ms., 4pp. annotated slide sheets; 1981.
58. Gordon Conf 1981; correspondence and course materials, 9pp. ms., 4 notecards and slide sheets; 1981.
59. Seminar Jax October 29, 1981; 7pp. ms with annotated slide sheet; 1981.
60. Seminar - U. of Md Dec.3, 1981; correspondence with C.E. Holmlund, 2 notecards, 2pp. annotated slide sheets; 1981.
61. Seminar - U. Vermont March 19, 1982; correspondence with Kenneth R. Cutoneu, 6pp. ms with annotated slide sheets; 1982.
62. FASEB - April 1982; abstract “A Model for the Regulation of HMG-COA Reduction Oxygenated Sterols”, 9pp. ms. with annotated slide sheet; 1982.
63. Ann Arbor - March 4-10, 1983 [Warner Lambert]; correspondence with Harvey R. Kaplan, conference schedule, 4pp. annotated slide notes, 4pp. notes; 1983.
64. Merrell - Cinncinati March 25, 1983 [Merrell Research Center]; correpondence with Thomas Blohm and attached reprint, 2 annotated slide sheets; 1983.
65. U. of Chicago 1983; correspondence with Angelo M. Scanu, 11pp. typed ms. with annotations and corrections, 3pp. ms with slide annotations, 5pp.annotated paper on Regulation of Cholesterol Synthesis, proposed outline for book chapter, photocopies of 2 papers by Rene Mora and Mary Wachter on “The Brown & Goldstein vs Kandutsch Modes.” ; 1983.
66. Florida May 17,1984; correspndence with R. Michael Roberts, 2pp. notes, 3pp. annotated slide shets, 1p. data table; 1984.
67. Quebec - Symposium June 30, 1984; correspondence with jerome F. Strauss, III [U. of Michigan], 5pp.ms. with 2pp. slide notes, 13pp. ms. with data table and 4pp. slide sheets, booklet “7th International Congress of Endocrinlogy Lipoprotein & Cholesterol Metabolism in Steroidgenic Tissues”; 1984.
68. Staff Seminar - Jax May 30, 1985; 28pp. ms. with slide notes, annotated slide presentation; 1985.
69. Frankfurt Germany - July 4; correspondence with Hans-Hermann Schone [of Hoechst], 6pp. ms. with slide notes, 2pp. slide annotaions, correpondence with Freda Gilbert; 1985.
70. Bristol-Meyers Nov. 6-8, 1986; correspondence with John J. Wright, photocopy of slide presentation; 1986.
71. N. Texas - Feb 13, 1987; correspondence with E. Brad Thompson, 6pp. ms., 4pp. annotated slide sheets; 1987.
72. Dupont - Dec. 2, 1986; correspondence with Harry Chen, 30pp. ms., 6 notecards, 2pp. annotated slide presentation, 2pp. data tables, reprint “Correlation between Oxysterol Binding to a Cytosolic.....” F.R. Taylor, et al, J. of Biolog. Chemistry, vol. 259, 1984.
73. Johnson & Johnson - March 23, 1987; correspondence with Jo. Brugmans, 28pp. ms. with slide notes, 2pp. slide presentation photocopy, 31pp. ms with slide presentation; 1987.
74. Symp. Pharmocol. Effects of Lipids - May 8-12, 1988; correspondence with Jon J. Kabara [Michigan State U.], abstract “Isoprenoids and the Cell Cycle”, 25pp. ms., 10pp. ms., booklet of symposium “79th American Oil Chemistry Society”, collection of abstracts from symposium; 1988.
75. P.D. Lecture Res Celebration - March 29, 1989; 4pp. ms. with slide annotations; 1989.
76. Bloch’s Symposium; correspondence with H. Brian Halsall, Konrad Bloch & William Lennara, 2pp. ms with tables and annotated slide presentation, 12 notecards with slide annotations, symposium announcement and schedule; 1988.
77. Aspen 1989 - Aug. 20-23; correspndence with Scott M. Grundy, Bernie C. kern and Helen H. Hobbs, reprint “Inhibition of Sterol Synthesis...” [j. of Biol. Chem., vol. 248, 1973], abstract “The Role of Intracellular Oxysterol Metabolites in the Regulation of Cholesterol Metabolism”, 17pp. ms. with slide notes, 3pp. annotated slide notes, 5pp. data tables, abstract “Defective Elongation of Fatty Acids in a recessive 25-Hydroxycholesterol-resistant Mutant cell Line” [S.R. Panini, et al].
78A. Sardinia - Sept 19-22, 1989 [5th Sardinian Intrnational Meeting on Chemical Carogenesis]; correspondence with Paolo Pani and A. Columban, abstract “Dolichol Phosphate as a Regulator of cell Growth” [Doyle, Kolakoff & Kandutsch]
78B. [untitled folder within folder]; correspondence with William A. Maltese, 11pp. typed ms. annotated and amended with 5pp. notes and data tables, correspondence with Plenum Publishing Corp., 4 note cards with slide presentation, 7 note cards, 22pp. typed ms. with bibliography and data tables “Dolichyl Phosphate as a regulator of Cell growth”, 17pp. typed ms., 1p ACS application notes; 1989.
[removed 3 photographs of Kandutsch lab personnel, and Konrad Bloch. see Photograph Collection #2391]
79. Retirement Symposium; correspondence with Konrad Bloch, Harry Rudney, Edward J. Parrish, Michael James and Anthony Ceremi, 9pp. Kandutsch bibliography, 3pp. poem “Biogenesis” by D.L.Raulson and H.L. Foyt; 7pp. poem by arby cockroach; 1991.
80a. 19th Nobel Conference on Biosynthesis Regulation and Products of the Mevalonate Pathway, June 2-5, 1991; notebook with schedule and papers, reprint “ Regulation of Cholesterol Synthesis by Intracellular Oxysterol Metabolites” [AAK]
80b. Sodergarns’ Kursgird, Lidingo 1990; correspondence with Gustav Dallner, 1p. photocopy of abstract, travel request.
80c. [untitled folder]; correspondence with Gustav Dallner, slide sheets with annotations, notes.
80d. Poster Presentation of June 4, 1991; list of presenters, 4 slide sheets, 3 reprints: “Oxygenation of demosterol and cholesterol in cell cultures” S.E. Saucier, et al, 1990; “Requirement for Mevalonate in Cycling Cells” Doyle & Kandutsch, 1988; “Relationship among Dolichyl Phosphate, Glycoprotein Synthesis and Cell Culture Growth” Kabakoff, Doyle, & Kandutsch, 1990.
81. Lunch - 1991 [Oxysterol Model]; 5 overhead projection laminates, 1p. notes; 1991.
82. Henry Rudney [Harry Rudney Symposium March 23-24, 1990]; correspondence with Jerry Lingrel, Richard L. Jackson, Kenneth Blumenthal, and Harry Rudney, 2 symposium brochures and schedules, 3 notecards with slide notes, 7pp slide notes with annotations, 4pp notes, reprint “Biochemistry & Biology of Plasma Lipoproteins” by A.M. Scanu and A.A. Spector; 1990.
83. U.T.MBG - Jan 31, 1991 [Seminar at U. of Texas at Galveston]; 33pp. ms with slide list, 9pp. slide sheets with annotations, 1 notecard, correspondence with E. Brad Thompson & David A. Konkel; 1991.
84. Granada [32nd International Conf. on the Biochemistry of Lipids, Sept. 18-21, 1991]; correspondence with M.D. Suarez, conference information, abstract of “Intracellular Oxysterol Regulators of Cholesterol Synthesis”, 1p. slide sheet with annotations, 19pp. ms, 7pp. tables, 1p. slide notes, reprint “ “Oxygenation of demosterol & cholesterol in cell cultures” 1990.
85. Other data sheets; 4 graphs, 1 notecard; n.d..
86. Patent materials; correspondence with Earl Green, Morton Schwarz, Sheldon A. Schaffer, George Schroepfer, James Fulleylove, Don Fredrickson, Delmar Sroufe, A. Bavley, Dale Foley, Richmond Prehn, Jerry Voight, Norman Latker, Ken Trevett; Statement of Research Findings, 1974; U.S. Patent #4,183,852 (photocopy), 1980; Agreements with The Jackson Laboratory, 1984.
87. Clippings; 1978, 1998.
88. Slide Notebook #1; 225 slides.
89. Slide Notebook #2; 126 slides.
90. Diplomas; Ripon College, 1990; The University of Wisconsin, PhD, 1954; American Medical Association Hektoen Award, 1955; NIH Certificate, n.d.; State of Maine Recognition Award, 1996.
91. The Man Sitting in Place Pigalle by Ronald Hancock, 1973. [short stories with sketches]
- 6 -